head work


To get the suggested power amount I have to look on my heads. First off all is the combustion chamber volume. The volumetric measurement shows that I have too big ones so Udo Becker have to machine ít again. The final check shows a compression ratio @ 10.5:1

My deck hight is 1,3 mm, the FK10 in combination with the ratio rockers make up to 12,5 mm valve travel and I have to check the piston to valve clearance with modelling clay.

After cutting the modelling clay I measured 4-5 mm clearance - quiet enough !

The 5,5" rods make the engine a little wider, the Limbach cylinder studs are a little bit to short so its time to lower the seat area about 3 mm.

Next things to do are to optimise the air flow performance of the Eliminators and finding a place to fit the cylinder head temperatur senders. Stay tuned.

Cam timing


Measuring and adjusting the cam timing is a real boring work.
I found out that my cam, a Engle FK10, is about 3° advanced with the magnum gear and 0° washer.To have a better torque in low RPM`s (keep my DCOE manifold in mind, longer than regular they will make torque @ the bottom and no high end power) I decide to use the 4° washer to retard the cam a little bit.

Cam bearing the second...

Boy´s please don´t do the same mistake I did with the last cam bearing.
Many thanks to Mike JP Wolf and Tom Wheelerdealer who comented my last post.
Six years after my last aircooled engine build I forgot where the bearings have to be placed.
Too old, maby too much beer or both ! However it comes now the bearings are in and found their place :-)